US

Donald Trump has said he will no longer give evidence at his New York civil fraud trial.

The former US president had been expected to return to the witness stand on Monday.

He was due to be the last big defence witness in the case, which threatens his real estate empire.

Posting on social media, Trump said he “VERY SUCCESSFULLY & CONCLUSIVELY” testified last month and saw no need to appear again.

In the posts, written in capital letters, he said he had “nothing more to say”.

He went on to repeat his claim that the case was a “witch hunt” aimed at hindering his bid to retake the White House.

Trump is accused of inflating his net worth to secure loans and insurance policies on more favourable terms. He denies any wrongdoing.

More on Donald Trump

The former president took to the stand on 6 November where he repeatedly sparred with the judge who he described as “extremely hostile”.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player


2:33

Trump’s ‘political rally’ from court

His defence lawyers had been due to lead questioning on Monday, although state lawyers could have cross-examined him.

Trump is the current frontrunner for the Republican presidential nomination ahead of next year’s election.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive Breaking News alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News App. You can also follow @SkyNews on X or subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.

Articles You May Like

‘Cold, calculating, thorough’: The real-life bomb disposal experts on Trigger Point
Trump breaks silence on Navalny’s death – but makes no mention of Putin
Ford, Disney, Costco and more — Jim Cramer provides his updated views on each
Russia pulls out of fishing deal and tells Britons to ‘lose weight’
Police officer charged with murders of TV presenter and his boyfriend